Sunday, June 24, 2012

Refashioned Tank Top from a Tube Top

So this was the easiest refashion EVER, but it has turned into one of my favorite tops for my daughter. I think it is the fit that makes me love it so much.

I made this top to go with this appliquéd Rainbow Butterfly Skirt because none of her other shirts look right with it. They were either too loose and distracted from the skirt or too long so it needed to be tucked in, which didn't look right either. So I knew exactly what I wanted before I started this project...

I started with a really (and I mean REALLY) old tube top of mine.

I used one of her shirts as a pattern for the tank top, cutting the arm hole angles the same as the sleeveless top I was copying.

But I wanted the tank top to be very form fitting to her body so I cut the pieces straight down instead of A-line like most of her shirts are.


Sew the front and back pieces together at the side seams. The half moon shapes that you are left with will be your sleeves. 
Sew a small seam on the raw edge of the arm pit holes. Then sew a small seam on the raw edge of each of the sleeves then attach them to the front and back of the top. And you are done!

The top was so easy to make mostly because I used the bottom existing hem and the top existing hem. But I really like this style on my daughter's body type so I am going to make a couple more from regular fabric using this top as a pattern.



Hope you all are having a great summer so far!


2 comments:

  1. I came accross your blog while looking at ideas for a Waldorf doll. I want to make one for my 2.5 yo DD before her baby sister is born in September. Your dolls are adorable! I linked one of your dolls on my blog ( www.BrendanAshleyandLilly.blogspot.com). It looks like you like to "craft" as much as I do. My husband thinks that I spend all day dong "arts and crafts" as he calls it. If you have any tips feel free to share! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! That shirt goes perfectly with that skirt. Impressive as always.

    ReplyDelete